Thursday, August 20, 2009

Without fail the earth has continued to rotate around the sun and I have now been in Peru for a month now. As I look back my Spanish has improved, even though I still have a lot to learn. I am now accostombed to the daily rice and beans flavored with onions. It now seems normal to pack 7 people into the cab of a small truck and squish about 9 more in the bed. Just this morning we ended upwith only 5 people in the cab (the normal amount I know), but it seemed strangely odd. It didn´t even feel as if it was worth driving the truck - you can squish 5 people into a motorcar. I guess you could say I am becoming Peruvian. However, I am still having fun experiimenting with new fruits. The newest of which is guava (or some word like that). This fruit is not what you are thinking. It grows in a long strand resembling a gigantic green bean. The strand is about 2 feet long and has ridges running lengthwise.When you slice the outer greenbeany coating the fruit is exposed - little fuzy white ovals that are sweet but tangy all at the same time. The fruit highly resembles a cacoon with its fuzzy white outer shell around a large black seed. About 10-12 little cacoons are in each strand. Even if this fruit sounds kind of weird it really is quite delicious.
Due to a need of a bit more medical aid we decided to continue with our clinic for the first half of the week. On top of this I got to journey out into Nuevo Amazonia (the little community I will be living with for the next two monthes and hosting health and evangalistic meetings for). We went out in teams of two. I ventured out with my new buddy Lauren Kelley from North Carolina. We just walked the dusty streets and talked with people. It was a great experience. The people here are so friendly and will gladly put down whatever they are doing to visit with two strange foreigners who barely speak their language. We chatted, laughed, and gave many blank stares (which greatly entertained our hosts). Through hand motions and dicctionaries we were able to carry on fun little conversations with our new friends. Just yesterday Lauren and I helped with two bible studies for families in our village. Our little team will spend the next two months reaching out to this community in any and everyway that we can.
So this is my life in Peru right now. Walking from house to house making friends, preparing for health clases and helping with Bible studies, along with learning Spanish.

1 comment:

  1. Just by reading your blog you have sparked within me a very big interest in medicine. I've always liked the field but got discouraged because I don't like the hospital scenario. What you're doing sounds like a blast! I hope that you stay safe and are loving every moment down there. Miss you Sweetheart. Love, Dani

    ReplyDelete