Sunday, January 17, 2010

So has closed another week. No more clinic, but still lots of people asking for medical attention. January is flying by and still the weather is the same. It seems that rainy season is not going to come. But now, since I am publishing this on the web, we will probably get solid downpours until April.(At least me hopes to trick the rain into coming). Surprisingly life is going quite well being stuck in the 17 of September (the settlement where I am living right now) each day is quite different…unlike Groundhog Day. Each day I am fortunate enough to escape into a settlement by the name of Los Jardines de Manantay or in English the gardens. The ironic thing is that there are hardly any plants or trees…quite ungarden like. This past week I spent cruising around in the dusty streets meeting people and acquiring them for my health classes. I have quite a handful of families, some 40 or so. It is nice now that my level of Spanish has improved enough that I can chat with the people without lots of pretending to understand. Not very many exciting things happened this week, life was pretty chill. Melanie and I lit a blazing inferno in front of the church (don’t worry Mom I practiced good fire techniques, nothing burned but the intended doomed branches). We were all the branches trimmed from a tree that were in the way of the newly built church. With the jungle heat and humidity added to the heat of the fire, the temperature was roasting. If we had had marshmallows they would have melted in the bag, before we even opened it. In fact the bag probably would have melted too…into one big gooey sticky yummy mess. Too bad marshmallows don’t exist down here. Any ways, that is the sum of me week, but here is an extra tidbit. My week was brightened by another new fruit – Sapote. A bright orange pumpkin-melon like fruit. I am still amazed at the crazy variety of odd fruits down here. Some are good…others are better left lost in the jungle…for the monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment