Sunday, January 31, 2010

This week was far from normal for me. One could say that its events were earth shaking. However, inspite of all these crazy happenings I am still stuck in the 17th of September.
For starters I will ramble about the craziest happening thes week. Late in the afternoon of January 25, as I was preparing supper with a few of the other girls, I felt an odd sensation under my feet. It was as if the earth was quivering. A quick burst of excitment exploded into the air. ¨Was that an earthquake?¨We were all questioning this but then we felt the earth still moving around a bit. ¨Yup, it sure was...but its still going!¨Agter about a second more of gentle quivers the earth gave a bigger jolt then returned to its dormant lifeless state. But we had an earthquake...and I was lucky enough to feel it. Some of the others were walking around and missed the rattling experience. We had a pretty good little shake that lasted for several seconds. Nobody was hurt - nothing seems to have collapsed - it was great!! Later on we learned that it had been a 5.8 earthquake about with the epicenter about 12 miles away. Hooray for cool experiences.
Compared to the rest of the week, everything else just isn´t as exciting. I spent my week running around from house to house teacvhing my students about nutrition. I have about 50 students in all to visit one-on-one during the week - keeps me busy. After repeating each lesson about 50 times I have them quite memorized - these are some words in spanish that I know quite well. However, after my teaching there is usually a little time for some volleyball. - Quick little Culture Tidbit - South America may be famous for its soccer, but it is mainly the men who play. The women arte always to busy playing volleyball to even care about soccer. So every afternoon volleyball nets are set up across the streets, which are transformed into various volley courts.

No comments:

Post a Comment