Sunday, February 7, 2010

Good day and welcome to hour 778 of the 17th of September. This has been a very odd day, with drastically changing weather and every tweleve hours the sun goes down and comes back up again as if days were changing. But each time I check I am still in the 17th of September.

But life is grand here in this non-expeditious day. At first the people were a little bit shy, but now that we have lived with them for a while they have opened up. The people who were once quiet during my lessons, now just can´t wait to chat and are usually anxious for another lesson. I am glad that I have now reached this level of friendship with my new students. The little kids that used to only stare at me now come running up to me and give me hugs.

We have started our nightly evangelistic meetings once again. This means that I am even more busy than ever. I spend all day running around to the houses of my 50 some students, then rush back to help cook supper. Then its off to set up for the meetings. During our meetings we have two of our Bible instructors, Matt Hartman from Southern and Josue from the Adventist University in Lima, who play the role of our MC´s. They are both very creative and are always entertaining. It puts everyone in a good mood for the meetings. Last night was the funniest thing yet. Matt being from America speaks English and Spanish, but Josue is Peruvian and only knows Spanish, however, they decided that they would try something new. So Matt did do the welcome in English and Josue translated it into Spanish. Matt started off…and Josue followed suite with his equivalent of the translation. Only for some odd reason, the two messages were nothing alike. Even though the Peruvians couldn´t understand the English and the horribly mistranslated message, they all thought this event was quite funny due to how strange english sounds to them the reactions of people like me who know both languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment