Thursday, February 25, 2010

This week finds me in a new epoch of my Peruvian life. I believe that rainey season is finally upon us. It has drizzled on and off all week. One moment it is cool and drizzly and 4.5 seconds later the sun is out and its roasting hot. The weather is extremely moody. Wednesday afternoon we had a grand old strom. The rain was pounding down – it was crazy, a true tropical downpour. The bad thing was that I had to go out in the midst of it. I doned my rain jacket and chacos (because I don´t have rainboots) and splashed out in the rain. Turns out that my rainjacket is only suited for the slight drizzels of the homeland and not for torrential downpours, needless tos ay I was drenched within moments. Before entering each house I would wring out my skirt. During each visit I would dry out a little bit, just to get drenched once more. I was having a blast splashing around in the puddles and rivers. However, everyone thoguth I was crazy – absolutely crazy. Thanks to the rain a big river/lake appeared seperating me from the house of one of my studnets. But I wasn´t going to let that stop me, so I trudged a ways through wáter up to my knees. After my lesson I once again trudged back through the lake. Inspite of being drenched I was haveing great fun – I love the rain.
I just recently learned that the average raindrop falls at about 17 mph. As I was slogging through the rain, this thought crossed my mind. Then I began to think of all the many raindrops that were pelting me and how much their combined force equaled. If you think about how many riandrops fall during a terrential downpour and then multiply that by 17 mph, that´s enough to kill a person…

1 comment:

  1. F=ma, avg m of a raindrop ~50mg, a = 9.8m/s^2, so the force of one drop is 4.9*10^-4 Newtons. It would take about 9,000 raindrops to add up to 1 lb. In a heavy rain, about 46 drops/square foot fall every second. Assuming you take up approximately one square foot (you don't, but it makes the calculation a little easier), that means that every 3 minutes and 15 seconds, you've been hit by a pound of water, with .45 N of force. And since KE=1/2mv^2, the amount of energy transfered in this collision is approximately .77 joules--and so on...

    ReplyDelete